Kenjya-Trusant is seeking a candidate to fill the role of Data Scientist/Analyst to support The Global Engagement Center (GEC).
Clearance Requirement – SECRET to TS **Clearance must be in place at time of application**
Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Monitor online social media platforms, discussion forums, blogs, and video
- sharing sites, to maintain situational awareness of the information environment and techniques, tactics and procedures being used by adversarial entities.
- Work with other GEC analysts and members of the intelligence community to compile analysis of the information environment and violent extremist and state sponsored propaganda for distribution to GEC leadership and other partners.
- Independently performs administrative management functions that service and/or fulfill a number of organizational requirements, such as preparing travel requests.
- Have expertise in a foreign language online environment (Russian, Chinese and/or Arabic) and in-depth knowledge of the culture and history.
- Maintains databases that reflect the fulfillment and/or status of administrative requirements and/or systems.
- Coordinates event logistics, including site logistics, agenda, invitations, reserving conference rooms and/or call-in numbers, travel information, etc.
- Conducts technical reviews of correspondence prepared for signature of organization executives to assure consistency with agency procedures on completeness, timeliness and format standards.
- Supports key meetings (e.g., establishing call-in line, taking notes, creating sign-in list).
- Create presentations for the division in support of meetings. This includes touch-ups as well as creating presentations.
- Interacts with GEC partners to respond to inquiries and to process information/data. May schedule appointments, coordinate conferences, travel, and related TET activities. Administers event calendars, including calendar resolution.
- Sits in on meetings as a note-taker. Prepares and edits correspondence, communications, presentations, and other materials. Prepares, prints, and distributes documents and materials.
- Makes detailed recommendations concerning measures to be taken to improve TET’s programs.
- Demonstrates the following analytic qualities: curiosity, proactiveness, timeliness, accuracy, precision, relevance, depth, breadth, and significance.
- Communicates and disseminates findings via reports, memos, slack / email, presentations, information exchanges, scientific papers, routine technical talks, and other forums or mediums.
- As needed, modifies existing workflows, to meet the goals and requirements of the GEC Technology Engagement Team and wider partnerships across other GEC teams, other U.S. Government organizations, or GEC external partners. Develop a ‘skunk works’-like culture focused on rapid prototyping and impactful analysis.
- Fosters technology communities across the U.S. State Department, the U.S. Government interagency, the broader coalition of nations, industry partners, content producers, and others.
- Experience with working with public/private industry (policy and senior personnel).
- Completes other duties related to the Technology Engagement Team, as assigned.
- The Scientist is responsible for conducting rigorous scientific analysis of all relevant data and they will:
- ·Design experiments, test hypotheses, and build models.
- ·Conduct advanced data analysis and highly complex designs algorithm.
- ·Apply advanced statistical and predictive modeling techniques to build, maintain, and improve on real-time analytic systems.
- ·Develop innovative and effective approaches to solve analytic problems and communicate results and methodologies.
- ·Develop experimental design approaches to validate findings or test hypotheses.
- ·Identify/create the appropriate algorithm to discover patterns in data.
- ·Develop business metrics for campaigns to measure performance and effectiveness.
- ·Provide on-going tracking and monitoring of performance of analytic systems and statistical models.
- ·Plan, implement, and execute scientific analysis of data including metric tracking, campaign measures of effectiveness, wider measures of brand awareness and messaging effectiveness, target audience analysis, discovery and tracking of themes/narratives or social/political/economic drivers, opportunities to leverage change theory principles to achieve objectives, media sources and their penetration rates, rapid response tasks, special projects, or other efforts in line with the GEC’s goals and objectives.
- ·Communicate and disseminate findings derived from data analysis or machine learning evaluations via reports, memos, slack / email, presentations, information exchanges, scientific papers, routine technical talks, and other forums or mediums. Actively seek and facilitate peer review, critique, and debate of all data analyses (including sources, methods, and conclusions).
- ·Engage in special projects or spearhead novel efforts across the GEC mission, supporting the core tenets of agility and innovation.
- ·Work closely with GEC Analysts (Open Source, Language, Cultural, Intelligence, Reporters, and others) to provide holistic insights into GEC mission problems focused on national security challenges.
- ·Supports the other GEC teams through tight collaboration and, as needed and directed by the leadership of the GEC Science and Technology division, embed onto other teams to provide close analytic, data science, and/or social science support.
- Bachelors degree preferred, preferably in Information Technology, Area, International, Media or Political Studies; Geography/GIS, Foreign Language/Linguistics or a related field.
- Experience fostering vibrant communities, especially comprised of analysts
- and/or technologists, to assist efforts including partner events, social media and traditional media outreach, growth of the cross-agency or cross-public/private sector ecosystem.
- Ability to express ideas, concepts, methodologies and issues clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, to provide senior officials with succinct, authoritative advice on complex policy issues and develop sensitive position papers and reports.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Decision making and prioritizing without direction.
- Friendly and tactful personality to be able to work with the public.
- Detail oriented with exceptional organizational skills.
- Knowledge of and ability to use standard Microsoft Office Suite; proficient use of PowerPoint; proficient use of scheduling and invitational software.
- Executive administrative/office skills required.
- Ability to deal with rapidly changing calendar events such as scheduling and re-scheduling meetings, and changing travel arrangements on short notice.
- Travel within the U.S. or abroad may be required on an as-needed basis.
- Knowledge of State's mission, policies, priorities and processes; Clear understanding of the priorities of the Secretary of State, the Under Secretary for Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs (R), the Center’s Coordinator, the Coordinator for Counterterrorism and Countering Violent Extremism, and other counterterrorism-relevant or counter propaganda-relevant senior U.S. Government officials.
- Knowledge of propaganda, disinformation, and information operations, including the fundamental motivations, means, methods, and strategies utilized by state and non-state actors.
- Knowledge of terrorism, counterterrorism, and countering violent extremism, including the fundamental motivations that often lead individuals to adopt violent extremism and communications means, methods, strategies, and resonance of violent extremist communications efforts.
Please note all candidates are required to provide the previous five (5) years of employment history as well as their most recent paystub for the purpose of salary verification.
THE KENJYA-TRUSANT GROUP, LLC is a Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business that was established in 2015 as a merger between The Kenjya Group, Inc. and Trusant Technologies, LLC. Our mission is to implement, support and protect the nation’s advanced technology systems, business processes and high-technology facilities. Working with the Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security, the Intelligence Community, state and local governments, and commercial clients, Kenjya-Trusant provides cyber protection, information technology, engineering, construction management and acquisition support services. We are a small company with big company benefits, including Health, Dental, Vision, 401K, Bonus Potential, Flexible Spending Account, Life Insurance, Short- and Long-Term Disability, Paid Time Off, and a culture of teamwork and continuous learning. Come grow with us!
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, mathematics, computer science, electrical / computer engineering, social science, or other scientific field.
- Within the last five (5) years, a minimum of two (2) years’ experience with at least one of the following: Python, R, Scala, or other statistical analysis platform.
- Demonstrated experience with statistical machine learning, natural language processing, or social science.
- Desired experience using these skills in the context of important national security issues.
The Kenjya-Trusant Group is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. If you require accommodations, please contact our Human Resources Department at (410) 740-4045.